For the big names in the tech industry, a well-managed supply chain is one of the things that keeps them ahead of the curve. Below I’ve looked at how Apple and some of tech’s other big hitters manage their supply chain.
What’s a supply chain?
Your supply chain is the collection of organizations, activities, resources, information, and people responsible for creating your company’s goods and services, from raw materials all the way up to finished goods.
Gartner are experts on which companies have the best supply chain. Some of the brands they’ve given their seal of approval to are…
They’ve achieved Masters status with Gartner.
But what makes Apple’s supply chain so good?
- Multiple suppliers for the same component – Apple have 785 suppliers in 31 different countries across the globe. This means they aren’t held hostage by one cog in their supply chain
- Inventory tracking systems – this means Apple are able to fact-check the quotes the suppliers give them against the stock they really hold
- They have a compliance culture founded on regular audit checks
- Apple have built and maintained strong relationships
The world’s biggest ecommerce brand can thank their status, in part, because of the mastery of their supply chain. The stand out features of Amazon’s supply chain are:
- Continual innovation – whether it’s the two-day delivery they launched in 2005, or their investment in drone supply service, Amazon is forever seeking new ways to tweak and evolve their supply chain
- Strategically placed warehouses – keeping close to city centers and metropolitan areas means that Amazon is always near to the largest elements of their customer base
- Warehouse categorization – Amazon segment its warehouses based on the types of products they stock and the delivery preferences required
You can innovate your supply chain by employing the most up-to-date technology, software, widgets, and apps at your disposal.
Order Desk is just one of the many great tools that you can employ to give your business the best possible supply chain. Check out the video underneath to see this technology can help your brand…
Intel’s processors are found in computers made by Apple, Lenovo, HP, Dell, and many more. One of the reasons for this is their gold-standard supply chain. This is what makes it 24 karat:
- Real-time data analysis – this means problems can be spotted and resolved much quicker
- A three-pillared solution – Intel have a simple, fluid, and long-term approach to their supply chain, as you can see below…
Credit: Harvard Business School
Watch the video below for an in-depth analysis of what makes Intel’s supply chain so impressive…
Your supply chain is essential to the success of your business. So, innovate, regulate, and take the lessons above from tech’s big names to give your brand the best supply chain possible.